August 2, 2010

Jacqueline Lepore: Descent into Dust


I received my copy of this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. Jacqueline Lepore's Descent into Dust is Victorian with a vampire twist to it. It's written as a gothic novel with all the mystery needed to make it a bit spooky. I loved it.

Main character and widow Emma Andrews is on a trip to visit family. She quickly arrives at Dulwich Manor. There seems to be a plague going on in the neighborhood, and while people are reassured that all is well, it isn't so. Emma begins to see and hear things, causing others to think she's inherited her mother's maddness. Another guest, Valerian Fox, helps Emma discover truth to mysteries lying about, including one about herself: Emma is destined to be a vampire hunter. Something of a vampire hunter himself, they work together to hunt an ancient vampire, Marius.

When I first began reading this book, I was a little nervous. I'd never read anything quite like it. Lepore showed me that sure enough, vampires can be written into a Victorian and gothic novel. It was done very well, I might add. My nervousness had slowed my reading pace toward the beginning of the book, but when I got further along I couldn't set the book down. It's a book that I want to reread, as I will be just before it's sequel is released. Originally titled The Cyprian Queen, just this week Lepore has shared that she wishes to title it Immortal with a Kiss.

I'm very greatful to be chosen to receive this book so thank you, Avon, for donating it to the program, and thank you, Jacqueline Lepore, for writing it. It was enjoyed very much.

0 comments: