January 26, 2009

Favorite Book That Begins with . . .

I have a sleeping cat on my lap and while she is there I dare not disturb her. A comic strip by Brian Crane called "Pickles" introduced me to the term COL, which stands for 'cat on lap.' COL may be used as an excuse for just about anything. "I need you to go make dinner." "Could you go finish the laundry?" "I have a few errands for you to run." Just about anything goes with COL. It can even be for something that works against you. I wish I could get up right now because this nearing eight-year-old baby who has the most photogenic skills is beginning to make me uncomfortable, but because I have COL I may not get up. While I am bound to the computer chair I am finding something to do to pass the time by blogging this entry. Oh, dear. I sneezed. She has just left me. I am free, and yet now compelled to type. Well, here it is....

These are my favorite books that I have read for each letter of the alphabet:
The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
The Big Over Easy: A Nursery Crime by Jasper Fforde
The Crimes of Charlotte Bronte: The Secrets of a Mysterious Family by James Tully
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Harry Potter series. I can't decide which is my favorite.
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Knight of the Sacred Lake by Rosalind Miles
The Little Country by Charles de Lint
Memory and Dream by Charles de Lint
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Quicksilver & Shadow by Charles de Lint
Remember Me by Carol Higgins Clark
Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde
You Suck by Christopher Moore

Runner Ups:
Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire
The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard
Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde
Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country by Rosalind Miles
Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby
Isolde, Queen of the Western Isle by Rosalind Miles
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Most Wanted by Jacquelyn Mitchard
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Untamed by P.C. and Kristen Cast
Widdershins by Charles de Lint

More From the Hardest Letters to Choose From:
B: The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
D: The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman and The Dragon Heir by Cinda Williams Chima
F: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and Forests of the Heart by Charles de Lint H: The Host by Stephenie Meyer, Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson, and Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
L: The Lady of the Sea by Rosalind Miles, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, and Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde
M: The Maid of the White Hands by Rosalind Miles, Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock, and My Sweet Audrina by V.C. Andrews
O: Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip and The Odyssey by Homer
S: A Shortcut in Time by Charles Dickinson, The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman, and Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire
T: A Theory of Relativity by Jacquelyn Mitchard and Tunneling by Beth Bosworth
W: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire, The Wood Wife by Terri Windling, and A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

On an ending note, I was quite worrisome my four-legged friend would return. She made several trips back to see me. More seriously now, I wonder if there are any good books that begin with a 'V' an 'X,' or a 'Z.' Also if there are any writers reading this, why so very many 'W's? I am overwhelmed for this letter more than any other by far. They are magnificent stories, though.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Fun list! I now feel compelled to make one. I was glad to see Book of Lost Things made the runner up list! You like Fly by Night! I didn't know you had read it. It is a very underrated book.

Kerian said...

Thank you. I would love to see your list if you create one. 'B' was a tough decision! I feel confidant of which book you would place as your favorite book that begins with a 'B.'

I did read and very much enjoyed Fly by Night! I sadly agree about it's general rating. I may have given it 4.5 stars but can't recall. This is a book I'm going to reread this year directly before or after rereading The Golden Compass. Something about the two books says to me that the main character of each would be good friends with the other were they to be in the same story. I'm going to write a comparision for the Books Compared Group on LibraryThing after that. I'll likely post it here as well.