May 20, 2008

A Knack for Titles

What do I do when feeling bored when I should actually be reading? (By now, I should be sleeping.)

I know someone with a marvelous gift to link the name of an actor to another using only the names of five other actors or actresses. Actually, I probably know a few people who can do this rather well. My point is, while some people have a knack for movies and famous people, this is how I pass time . . .

Before the glorious days of LT, I would sit down and think of as many titles of books that I own as I possibly could whose titles link them to one another. I took to writing them down, but those lists have long ago been thrown out: why do this when I have my addiction to LT to fill my time? Or when I have a TBR pile that should have fallen on me a long time ago?

The answer is, because LibraryThing goes down! (Also, my TBR pile isn't stacked, or else it would fall on me.)

Below is a basic example. I will not provide authors to any of the books I will mention below, as it's late enough as it is. (Remember, I said I should be sleeping.)

Fitcher's Brides -> The Princess Bride -> The Constant Princess

See how I went from linking the word 'bride' to linking the word 'princess'?

I really enjoy doing this and would very much enjoy sharing every link of book titles I came up with tonight, but must not get carried away. I'll stick with the ones with the most books if I can manage it.

Sixteen Book Titles:
Where Are the Children? -> Where the Heart Is -> Black Heart, Ivory Bones -> Black Thorn, White Rose -> Blood is the New Black -> Blue Bloods -> The Blue Girl -> The Onion Girl -> The Other Boleyn Girl -> Little (Grrl) Lost -> Lost in Austen -> Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict -> Lost -> Lost in a Good Book -> The Book Thief -> The Lightening Thief

Fourteen Book Titles:
The Bean Trees -> The Summer Tree -> Tapping the Dream Tree -> A Midsummer Nights’ Dream -> Animal Dreams -> The Dreaming Place -> Dreams Underfoot -> Memory and Dream -> The Memory of Running -> The Memory Keeper’s Daughter -> Daughter of the Forest -> Forests of the Heart -> Inkheart -> Inkspell

Twelve Book Titles:
Where Are the Children? -> Where the Heart Is -> Black Heart, Ivory Bones -> Black Thorn, White Rose -> Blood is the New Black -> Blue Bloods -> Snow White, Blood Red -> The Maid of the White Hands -> White as Snow -> Light on Snow -> Snow Falling on Cedars -> Falling Angels

Eleven Book Titles:
Where Are the Children? -> Where the Heart Is -> Black Heart, Ivory Bones -> Black Thorn, White Rose -> Blood is the New Black -> Blue Bloods -> The Blue Girl -> Blue is for Nightmares -> Fly by Night -> Twelfth Night -> Silent Night

Ten Book Titles:
Where Are the Children? -> Where the Heart Is -> Black Heart, Ivory Bones -> Black Thorn, White Rose -> Blood is the New Black -> Blue Bloods -> The Blue Girl -> Blue is for Nightmares -> The Bluest Eye -> The Golem's Eye


I really should italicise all of those books...but I'm way to sleepy.

I think this would be really fun to play on LT, now that I think about it. I'll have to start a thread after work tomorrow. There, the possibilities will be endless.

0 comments: